Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where March Finds Us . . .

Hero has always been an Unschooler at heart. She is a child with constant questions of "Why?" and "How?", always thinking of new and better ways to do things . . . she is hands on and inventive and tirelessly clever. I've come to the conclusion that I need to surrender my expectations to her learning style. More than a choice, it is a process, and I am trying to loosen up more and more each day. I have no doubt that she will learn everything she needs to know as she grows, with our support. So no more overwhelming pressure to perform to the tune of the outside set of standards our society has in place for her. She is (for now) (more or less) free to follow the path she chooses. There are certain things I cannot let go of, but I will try to make those things enjoyable and approachable. I have no plans currently to extend this Unschooler's privilege to my other kids who have a less difficult time with structure and strictly bounded learning, but who knows where this will take us. I might find it an irresistibly appealing sort of thing that will encroach on everything. We'll see where we are in a few months time.

I found a handy little toy the other day and couldn't resist it, in an attempt to make the dreaded maths more fun. It's the World Almanac for Kids Puzzler Deck, the math version for ages 7-9. It is great fun and more than a few cards forced me to think twice. Now I want the whole collection.

And a delightful photo from our day. Cooperative Battleship. With dolls. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment